In November of 2012 I decided to join professional network/entrepreneurial brain trust.
The rationale was simple, successful people don’t succeed on their own.
There are two parts to the program:
- Monthly interviews with a wide array of brilliant people, masters and advisors that have helped countless people with productivity, health, psychology, and more
- Membership to an exclusive community of ambitious professionals to hold you accountable, encourage you, and help you live a Rich Life
This brain trust provides access to knowledge, wisdom and proven strategies that top performers use to…
- Get more done
- Stay focused
- Earn more money
Below is a video preview and my notes from Ron Lieber discussing, among other things, how to build instant rapport and making it to the top of your field:
#1 Takeaway = Write smart and thoughtful dashes
- Send notes letting people know what you like and/or admire about their work; be very specific and detailed
- Example: “Hey I read your thing and I liked/noticed/appreciated…”
- Gather 1-2 anecdotes to talk to people about and build rapport
- Don’t ask where they went to college or what they do for work (this is what everyone else does)
On Getting to the Top of Your field:
- Take the time to study the people who came before you
- Focus on people’s biggest pain points and/or their largest expense
- Come up with original answers for old questions
- Make complicated things “make sense”
- Be conversational: Start at the beginning/from scratch
- Help relatively smart people understand something
- Look for emerging areas of interest (cast a wide/eclectic net)
- Stunt + aspirational + useful + service to people = success
- Ex: Julia Child’s recipes blogged by Julie Powell
- Start with your obsessions, then move at half steps to find your beat or niche
Get your organizational/logistical shit together. Choose one thing to focus on and build a system.
If you’re tired of waiting for “some day” to take your life to the next level you can check out the Brain Trust here.
If you want access to all my interview notes, and additional insight and analysis on the mindsets and strategies that other top performers use, please subscribe below: