Here are a few quick notes I took from the webinar Ramit hosted last night on the psychology of persuasion, featuring Stanford PhD, B.J. Fogg.
Two things we all need to keep in mind:
- People are not rationale
- More information doesn’t help
3 Steps to Creating Behavioral Change
Leverage the foot-in-the-door technique
- Use baby steps; break tasks down so that they’re so small it will become a habit (i.e. commit to flossing one tooth each night).
- Do the job you want to do & deliver the value. If you do, you’ll likely obtain that job/someone will pay you to continue doing that job.
4 Keys to Becoming an Expert
- Go very, very, niche
- Learn everything (usually entails reading everything about the niche)
- Create new insight pertaining to the niche (in academia this = gaps in the literature)
- Share it (don’t forget this step)
Strive to make others look good. – Everyone should be doing this for their boss/manager
Help people do things they already want to do.