This post is part of the series entitled, “25 ways to get a new, better or different job.” The series is an effort to provide something actionable that anyone (not just Gen Y) can do that may directly or indirectly help you get a job. If you have any suggestions please e-mail me or leave them in the comments. After all, this series is for you!
The second post in our installment of 25 Ways to Get a New, Better, or Different Job features some key messages from Gary Vaynerchuk’s NYC Keynote speech. There’s a lot of buzz surrounding his speech, and for good reason. If he can’t convince you that you need to be searching (or creating) opportunities doing something you love then chances are nobody can.
First, watch the video, and then utilize the comments section to see if you can add to some of the key messages that I took away from his speech.
Some Key Messages:
- Patience and Passion are extremely important.
- Too many people are doing stuff they hate. There’s no reason in 2008 to do stuff you hate.
- Community – Listening to your users, absolutely, but giving a rip about your users is way better.
- Look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you want to do for the rest of your life, and do that. You CAN monetize it.
- Stop crying and keep hustling. Hustling is the most important word ever!
- You have to have a business model. Work hard and build up equity so you can finance what you want to do.
- Legacy is greater than currency. Your great grandchildren will be able to find you online.
- Answer every single one of your e-mails.
- If you’re pumping out good stuff people will follow, but if you for a ½ second don’t believe in what you’re doing whether it’s your personal brand or a product, get out.
- We are sitting where the gatekeepers are no longer in control.
- You need to build brand equity in yourself.
- The only way to succeed now is to be completely transparent.
- Use all the tools available to connect to your user base, anyway you can, everywhere you can, as often as you can.
- It doesn’t matter how small your niche is.
- If you want it bad enough, work 9-5, spend a couple of hours with your family, 7 to 2 in the morning is plenty of time to do damage.
- Do what your about!
What did you think of Gary’s keynote? I’ve watched it at least 3 times, and I just can’t get enough. What’s was your favorite point that he made? Are you doing what you love right now? If not, what is it that you wish you could be doing for a living?
If you find this series to be helpful in your job search, please consider subscribing to ensure that you get all 25 actionable posts.